Monday, November 21, 2011

Good Day

Sometimes you just know when you're going to have a good day.  I think today was that day for me.  Well, I'll let you be the judge.  I "woke" up, or rather got out of my bed because you can't really call it sleep when you get up every hour and half, can you?  But, at least I was able to get up, right?  Anyway, I noticed that my youngest (aka, my little pain in the derriere) sounded particularly crappy.  As in, he was hacking up a lung and his chest sounded like he was breathing through water.  This is usually a pretty good sign that we will be making our monthly trip to the Hilton/Blessing Hospital pediatric unit.  However, instead of freaking out, I just gave him his medications, let him do his therapy, took a shower, and packed a bag before heading to the clinic for what I was sure was going to be my one-way ticket to the hospital.  

I picked my daughter up from preschool and gave her the little bag I had packed for her to play with at the doctor's office.  She said, "Mommy, are we going to see Dr. Minnick or is Eastie going to the hospital today?"  I told her that it may end up being both.  She just shrugged and said, "Ok, did you pack my Mobigo?"  When I informed her that it was in the bag along with all the games that go with it, she said, "Thanks Mommy!  You're the best!  Now I will have something to play while the doctors fix Eastie."  She then began telling me a story about school and asked one of her questions in that way that only a 4-year old can.  "Mommy, how big is Daddy?"  I found myself feeling grateful that I had such an easy-going, happy little girl.  She wasn't phased at all that our routine would be interrupted, or that she would have to sit in a doctor's office for what has proven time and time again to take hours upon end.  She was just happy to be talking to me about her day. 

The day got better because not only did Easton NOT end up in the hospital this time, he also didn't have to have any blood draws or chest x-rays.  This NEVER happens.  I had packed a bag for both of us in anticipation of at least a three day stay, and instead I was going home!!!  Yay!  I got home, put Easton down for a nap and made lunch for Morgan.  Just as I finished doing that, a friend from my children's school called and said that Logan had hit his head at recess.  I wasn't phased at first because they are always really good about calling when a child gets hurt at school.  But, as I listened to more of the story I realized that we were probably dealing with a concussion.  Really?  So, instead of taking a nap while Easton and Morgan slept, I called my Dad to watch them while I picked Logan up from school and took him to the emergency room.  The doctor decided that after her neuro exam that the benefits of a CAT scan would not outweigh the risks of radiation exposure.  So, he probably has a mild concussion and we just have to watch him for the next week or so. 

So, see?  A good day.  Instead of spending the night in the hospital, I am home with my family.  Instead of all of the things that can happen with severe head injury, I'm simply watching for signs of a mild concussion.  And I noticed while they were examining Logan how nice it was to say that he was a typically healthy kid.  I got to answer "yes" to questions like, "Are his immunizations up to date?", and "no" to ones like, "Has he ever had any major illnesses?"  It was so nice to hear that come out of my mouth.  If you'll recall I had called my father to come sit with my children while I took Logan to the hospital.  He answered, said yes, and showed up.  That, in and of itself, is something for which to be grateful.  Not everyone has a Dad that will do that, or that is able to get away in the middle of a workday.   Also while we were waiting in the ER, Easton's neurologist called me and told me that because I didn't see a significant decrease in his seizures with medication increase that I could hold off going up on it this week.  He's still having seizures but I'm grateful to not have to go up this week. Even if we end up having to do that in the long run, today we don't!  And, if you think about it, TWO of my children DID NOT have to see a doctor today!!!

Plus, I don't know if you remember, but another amazing thing happened today...I showered. 

1 comment:

  1. Sweet. It's a great reminder to be thankful for everything. : )

    ReplyDelete