Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Girl's Night Out

I realize that I already posted today, but in my little corner of the world, this has been one inspiring day.  Not only did my 2-year-old son take four steps in the water on his own, I also got to do some bonding with my favorite short women.  I'm going to go on record now and say that I'm guessing that there are fewer things in the world greater than sharing an impromptu frozen treat with your 7 and 5-year-old daughters.  I'm sure that some veteran mommas out there who have teenagers or grown children will tell me that they have some great moments of their own, but this has still gotta be one of the best.

I picked my oldest daughter, Addison, up from soccer practice and the baby girl, Morgan, was along for the ride.  I cannot tell you how many times I've experienced some of my best moments via the one-on-one car trip.  It started with Morgan as we were waiting for Addi to get out of practice.  She had wanted to ride in the front seat of the car (which is something that I've honestly never let her do).  Still, she asked and I said no, and when I explained to her that it was against the law, she gave this response: (keep in mind that Morgan's thoughts sort of circle the globe before she comes home with the ACTUAL reason she started speaking in the first place)...

Morgan: "Mommy, when I grow up I'm going to be an artist, a sign language teacher, and a person who gets to make up their own laws."

Mommy: "Oh, so you want to be a politician.  Ok, first of all, why do you want to be an artist?"

Morgan: "Because I want to paint pictures of pretty princess and put them in an artist book."

Mommy: "Fair enough.  Why do you want to be a 'sign language teacher'?"

Morgan: "Because, Mommy, everyone should be able to talk to each other," (pause for awww..how sweet..but then she follows up with the kicker). "The should be able to talk even though they are blind."

Mommy: "Alright (making mental note to explain deaf vs. blind at some point), and why do you want to be a politician and make up your own laws?"

Morgan: "Because, I would make a law that ALL kids get to sit in the front seat and big people have to sit in the back.  The kids can even drive.  ALL kids can drive...(here it comes)...even if they're blind." (REALLY need to have that conversation, and fast).

As if this weren't enough for one evening, she then starts discussing the fact that her cousin, Ava (5), wants to marry Justin Bieber when she grows up.  But, Morgan thinks that this is impossible because apparently, according to her, when Ava is a grown up, Justin Bieber will be a "grandpa."  So, I can't resist:

Mommy: "Morgan, why can't Ava marry Justin Bieber?  Because he's older?"

Morgan:"Yes, it is illegal to marry a grandpa."

Mommy: "Well, I married Daddy and he is much older than I am."

Morgan: "Yeah, but duh Mommy...he ISN'T a grandpa!!!...wait, is he?"

Following this amazing revelation from my 5-year-old, I decided to take the girls to the shaved ice shack for a little snack.  I should have known, at this point, that the night of zingers wasn't over yet.  I was enjoying this estrogen filled evening with my two favorite girls, and basking in the glow of our mother-daughter bonding time.  I even took a little picture of the three of us, and when I looked at it, I smiled at the thought of all of the fun "girly things" we'll do in the future.  And it was this endorphin-high  moment that led to the next conversation.  I hugged my babies and said:

Mommy: "You know, you girls are pretty cool..."

Addison: Looks up at me lovingly and says, "It's ok, Mommy.  I can teach you how to be cool."

Great.

Addison: "But really, Mommy, all you need to do to be popular and cool is...(oh god, I'm freaking out now, wondering where this is going when she surprises me yet again)...nice."

Mommy:"Oh, Addison, that makes me so happy that you said that.  You're such a sweet girl."

Addison: "Yeah, well, that's just what I say to win people over."

Well Ladies, here's to the next and many future nights of GIRLS NIGHT OUT! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment